- Part of my "Cosmos" collection, this one-of-a-kind pendant features a cabochon that was cut from a beautiful piece of slag glass that was found in Lake Superior. Not "Leland Blue," but what I call "Superior Blue"... same type of material but found in the Superior Great Lake! The sterling silver setting is completely hand-fabricated by me, hand-stamped and featuring hand-sawn stars and moon. Each "stone" is completely different from another because of the random swirls of colors, bits of the natural impurities that were in the material and bubbles that had formed in the glass.
- Slag glass was a by-product of the ore smelting process of the late 1800's. Raw ore was heated, and the desired iron ore was separated from various natural impurities, and made into pig iron, which was far more economical to transport after nearly 40% waste was removed. Some of these iron-smelting operations dumped these impurities into the waters of the Great Lakes. When the impurities cooled, the result was stone-like slag that can be found in purple, gray, blue or green.
- This pendant comes with the 24" sterling silver "cut moon" chain as shown.
- Pendant measures: 1-7/8" x 1-3/4"
- All purchases come in a gift box with ribbon ready for gift-giving or as a gift for yourself!
Artisan crafted jewelry is created by hand, therefore no two items are identical. Each of The jewelry pieces that you see in my shop do not look machine made--they were crafted only by me with my hands and tools in my home studio. Questions? Please message me!
Thank you for looking!
If you like my work please follow me on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/SynthiaMarshJewelry
and Instagram: Superior_Northwoods_Studio